Influenza Immunization Awareness Campaign 2014-2015
Statements of the National Advisory Committee on Immunization:
- Statement on Seasonal Influenza Vaccine for 2014-2015 (external link)
Review on Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccines (external
- Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness, Immunogenicity, and Safety in Healthy Adults 19 - 64 Years Old (external link)
- Influenza video (external link)
- Revised Wording to the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) Recommendation for Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine (LAIV) in Healthy Children and Adolescents 2-17 Years of Age (external link)
- Do flu shots really work? Are they safe? (presentation by Dr. Jeffrey Kwong at the DLSPH Doctoral Seminar Series, October 2013) (external link)
- Influenza Facts: True or False Quiz (CHIIN) (external link)
- Influenza Quiz Answer Sheet (CHIIN) (external link)
Seasonal influenza, commonly known as the flu, is an infection in the airways caused by the influenza virus. It’s called 'seasonal' influenza because the virus circulates annually in the winter season in Canada. In addition to seasonal influenza, you have probably heard about avian influenza and pandemic influenza.
Seasonal influenza is a contagious respiratory illness caused by the influenza virus. It is easily caught and easily spread. Influenza typically starts with a headache, chills and cough, followed rapidly by fever, loss of appetite, muscle aches and fatigue, running nose, sneezing, watery eyes and throat irritation. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea may also occur, especially in children.
Influenza also lowers the body's ability to fight off other infections which can lead to pneumonia, bronchitis or other complications. In addition, influenza can worsen a current medical condition such as diabetes, lung disease, heart disease, kidney disease or cancer. Between 4000 and 8000 Canadians can die of influenza and its complications annually, depending on the severity of the season.
Canadian Immunization Guide. Evergreen edition. http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cig-gci/index-eng.php (external link)